I love Breakfast for dinner and this is my new favorite thing to make! This is one of my recipe’s that was published in the September 2012 issue of Floridian View Magazine.
Breakfast Skillet w/Tomato Arugula Salad
This recipe is enough for 6 ramekins
What you need:
- 4-5 slices of good quality smoked bacon
- 5 med/large potatoes
- 5 oz fresh Arugula
- 15 Eggs (I love farm fresh!)
- Fresh Thyme (leaves off the stems, approx. 1tsp)
- 8oz good quality Brie cheese
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 1-2 Tomatoes diced (Or Cherry Tomatoes halved)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup milk or half and half
- 3 tbs rice wine vinegar
- Olive Oil (2tbs for dressing, 2 tbs for pan)
What to do:
Some Prep Items:
- Par boil your potatoes whole in salted boiling water for approx. 10min. Remove from heat and rinse with sold water to stop the cooking process. Once cooled Dice the potatoes carefully into small cubes.
- Pre-cook the bacon
- Dice Tomatoes
- In a small bowl whisk together rice wine vinegar and olive oil with salt and pepper to taste until the dressing emulsifies, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
Time to Cook!
- Whisk together, Eggs, Salt and pepper, Milk, and chopped up bacon
- In a large skillet melt 1tsp of butter, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil (or enough to coat the pan) add garlic and allow garlic to cook until golden, remove garlic from pan, turn heat up to med/high and add potatoes, allowing the potatoes to have an even layer in the pan, add thyme, salt and pepper. Allow the potatoes to cook without stirring them for approx. 2-3 minutes then gently stir (or flip!) the potatoes, cover and allow to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Gently stir or flip once more cover and allow to cook for yet another 2-3 minutes trying to get all the potatoes golden brown. Taste, and add more seasoning as needed. Stir the garlic back in carefully and remove from heat.
- In a small fry pan turn the heat to medium and 1/2 tsp butter allow to melt then add egg mixture allowing the eggs to fully cook at the bottom before flipping (Like your making an omelet) Once the egg is cooked at the bottom flip it over carefully. Fold the ends in making a kind of wallet shape, and allow the egg to continue cooking approx. 2-3 minutes.
- ** Note: depending on the size of the container your using you may need to make your little egg wallets in batches. If using ramekins, use approx. 1 1/2-2 eggs per large ramekin, if using one large casserole, then make 3-4 egg wallets.
- In each ramekin layer your skillet, putting potatoes on the bottom in a layer, then Pieces of Brie cheese, place in the oven for 2-3 minutes on 350 just enough for the brie to melt. Add egg on top of the cheese. In a large bowl mix arugula and tomatoes with dressing, only lightly coating the salad and add to the top of the eggs.