So yesterday I was inspired and made my first ever Cioppino! It was amazing!! Here is how I roll..
What you need:
- Olive Oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 3-5 large fresh garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 5 cups of fish stock (I made my own for this)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 pounds of firm white fish (I used gold tile, but you could use mahi, or halibut)
- 1 large stalk of celery, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
- Heat the oil in a very large pot over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, celery, onion, shallots, and salt and saute until the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and saute 2 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, wine, fish stock and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the flavors blend, about 30 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and fish. Simmer gently until the fish and shrimp are just cooked through, stirring gently.
- Season the soup, to taste, with more salt and pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.
I served it with bread, but then today, I had the leftovers over rice! YUM!
You could also add Muscles and/or clams to this dish!